Tuesday 21 April 2009

Stevens and the Chicken Joke

Our discussion today in class about Stevens' epiphany of sorts has so many implications. How often in our lives do we have those moments when things become clear and it is obvious that we should turn over a new leaf or follow a path other than the one we are traveling? How often do we have those moments and then not do a single thing to change our course?

It had me thinking of that old chicken joke. The chickens all take flying lessons, learn how to fly, then they all walk home after the meeting. lol. That is definitely Stevens and I know it has been me several times in my life. We have probably all walked home from flying lessons a time or two. :)

Although, in defence of Stevens, we don't really know what he is thinking. Perhaps him learning to tell jokes is his way of turning over a leaf. After all, he has been a particular way his entire life and all of the sudden we expect him to transform. If there was a bit more of Stevens tale perhaps we would see some change in him yet.

4 comments:

  1. Your post reminded me of Chicken Run, when the Mel Gibson chicken is trying to teach the British hens to fly: "Thrust! Thrust!" It's pretty classic.

    On a more serious note, you are right about the Stevens in all of us. Sometimes we make it to the fork in the road, but then we turn around and go back the way we came...back to our own Darlington Halls, where it is safe. Simon and Garfunkel's "I Am a Rock" comes to mind: "I have my books/And my poetry [or sentimental romance novels] to protect me;/I am shielded in my armor [my allegiance to dignity],/Hiding in my room [or my butler pantry],/safe within my womb./I touch no one [Miss Kenton, my father] and no one touches me."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both of these comparisons, the chicken story (Chicken Run is hilarious) and "I Am a Rock" (one of my favorites by Simon and Garfunkel).

    I felt the same way about Stevens. He learned about himself, got some perspective on what his dignity did to blind him to what was going on around him, was flat-out told by Mrs. Benn/Miss Kenton that she could have loved him for life, but he doesn't really do anything with this knowledge. I wonder if he just felt like he was too far gone, like he had already wasted his life, so he may as well go back to what he knows. And maybe his earnest desire to learn how to banter is the only shift he can make because he's too old to try something you. Does it all go back to "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"? Maybe. I think he's just too set in his ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, I had never considered the fact that Stevens might feel defeated after his encounter with Miss Kenton. Thanks for opening my eyes to the possibility.
    Maybe the banter was the only way he could fathom to express his new found wisdom. Isn't that a bit sad? It still speaks of his inability or unwillingness to step outside of his duty and ask himself what HE wants rather than what might be proper or expected. Isn't he such a great, ponder-worthy character?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jaree, I loved your old chicken joke it was classic and fits Stevens so well! Stevens really did have a number of lessons to show him how to break away from his old structures and fly, but alas he was too afraid to use those wings. But I found it interesting that even though he chose walking rather than flying life still took him places.

    ReplyDelete