Wednesday 8 April 2009

Dylan Thomas and the Decemberists

I remembered a post about Fleet Foxes and Romanticism--

Apparently Dylan Thomas, the poet we discussed in class on Tuesday, is very influential to the lyrical talent of Colin Meloy of the Decemberists. The song, "The Chimbley Sweep," is an interpretation of one of those "disembodied voices" of Thomas' play "Under Milk Wood"

From "Under Milk Wood" ---

"In Pembroke City when I was young I lived by the Castle Keep Sixpence a week was my wages For working for the chimbley-sweep. Six cold pennies he gave me Not a farthing more or less And all the fare I could afford Was parsnip gin and watercress. I did not need a knife and fork Or a bib up to my chin To dine on a dish of watercress And a jug of parsnip gin. Did you ever hear a growing boy To live so cruel cheap On grub that has no flesh and bones And liquor that makes you weep? Sweep sweep chimbley sweep, I wept through Pembroke City Poor and barefoot in the snow Till a kind young woman took pity. Poor little chimbley sweep she said Black as the ace of spades O nobody's swept my chimbley Since my husband went his ways Come and sweep my chimbley Come and sweep my chimbley She sighed to me with a blush Come and sweep my chimbley Come and sweep my chimbley Bring along your chimbley brush!"

And here's the Decemberists --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q3gO4LSPxk

(I apologize for that corny, corny video)

3 comments:

  1. This is cool, Ryan. Thanks for putting it up. Dylan has influenced a lot of musical artists, including Bob Dylan, whose last name wasn't originally Dylan (it was Zimmerman, I think). He once said that it was Dylan Thomas that inspired the name change. Both Dylans are on the cover of the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a side-track on this note: the Decemberists are an awesome band. I think they must like pirates, or at least singing about them. (Or did I just imagine that?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really cool that you were able to find that info. Random sidenote, I'm not a big fan of all of their music, but the Decemberists sing one of my favorite songs, "The Engine Driver."

    ReplyDelete