Monday 2 February 2009

Coleridge's Writings

I find it interesting that Coleridge was the one picked to write these "fantasy" poems and Wordsworth to write about the things of nature and a more uncommon view of reality. How did they decide this? Maybe I'm far off, but I picture Coleridge being the more light-hearted of the two, perhaps throwing out a joke as they walked along the lake preparing "Lyrical Ballads". Wordsworth was the more reserved, thoughtful one. I picture the two men, walking along a lake, with two great minds and looking at the world in different ways. Perhaps they both agreed that each was best at writing those certain kinds of poems. Wordsworth seems to be more in touch with nature and senses, while Coleridge seems to have endless ideas to sort through, letting his imagination take him where it will.
I think they wanted to bring out a different "color" to the imagination with Coleridge's writings. A "willing suspension of disbelief" is the hope that you allow yourself in believing these things you read. They called it an "inward nature". Our human nature gives us the tendency to enjoy our imagination's exploration beyond reality and the things we know. We enjoy reading poems and stories like his because, well, we just can't help it.

1 comment:

  1. I was happy that you brought up Coleridge and Wordsworth working together to create certain writings. It was very Wordsworth of you to use your imagination on what these very different poets would bring together. I like how you brought them out in your own minds eye; who you thought was the thoughtful and reserved one and who you thought was more happy-go-lucky. That really personalized them and it showed how you view their work. When I see them though I see a different story, I see outburst and conflicts. I just felt they were both such strong personalities that they would have wanted certain images of theirs to remain and others images to cease to be. Then at the same time knowing that the other person might hold the key to their creative breakthrough. It is all very interesting.

    ReplyDelete