Wednesday 28 January 2009

I love blogs! :)

I really enjoyed this reading compared to last classes’. It seemed to be much more mature and less sing-song. Also, it seemed to me that, although it was not as abstract as Blake’s literature, there was more depth to the poems and more to learn from them.

I want to talk about lines 99-107. I think that the key words in this section are “endless imitation.” To me, Wordsworth is suggesting that all of the seemingly important things that we do in life are attempts to capture a “fragment” of our “dream of human life.” As we go through life we try to find a place and purpose for our lives, when we already have a natural place. All of the acting that we do to fit into society and gain more things is just like a child pretending to be like an adult. But no matter how we much we pretend to belong in the material world, only nature brings our true reality. I think it is also talking about the variability of ourselves in comparison to the consistency of nature. Nature stays the same. But if it is constant, then why do we see it differently at various points in life? I think it is because life itself changes. New interests develop. New things are obtained. New relationships come and old ones die. According to my interpretation, Wordsworth is trying to say is that when all of the responsibilities, possessions, and worries go away we are the same child that we started out as, however our experience gives us a wise maturity that helps us to see nature differently. As he says in lines 192-193, “I love the Brooks which down their channels fret, Even more than when I tripped lightly as they”.

On a quick personal note, my favorite part of the poem was stanza 8. I loved how Wordsworth compared the child to a “Mighty Prophet!” How many times in life is it “out of the mouth of babes” that we learn the most profound truths? In many ways, I can really relate with this part of the poem. I was forced to grow up very quickly and, unfortunately, had an abnormally short childhood. When I read this I can understand Wordsworth’s intense plea for the child to enjoy their youth and not be so hasty to grow up. I think that this is a big problem in society today, especially with all of the new technology. I mean, what kid when I was growing up had a cell phone at eight? Yet now that is regarded as a necessity. Also, I think that all of the technology has taken away from the pastoral, carefree sense of childhood. Racing Yoshi in MarioKart just doesn’t seem to have the same connection with nature as frolicking with lambs through a meadow of pansies would. Just my opinion.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually had a different interpretation of those lines. To me, it seemed more literal, in that an actual child was there, pretending to be an adult. To me, it seemed that Wordsworth envied the child for his clarity and appreciation of nature, to the point where he admonishes him in the next stanza. I think that it was more that Wordsworth was aware that adulthood brought its own burdens, and that he viewed childhood as a time of innocence and joy, something that shouldn't be so easily thrown away.

    I like your interpretation, though. I agree that oftentimes people struggle to find their place in life. Too often, we have this preconceived notion of how life should be, and we sometimes can overcomplicate things, struggling under the expectations of both ourselves and others. This can often keep us from being able to find a place where we belong and feel comfortable.

    ReplyDelete