Thursday 29 January 2009

The World Is Too Much With Us

I am reading this poem right now, looking out my hotel window at the Las Vegas strip, I wonder what Wordsworth would have to say about this place? Ironically enough, as I was walking past some of the mammoth buildings in the area today, I was thinking about this same principle of waste, about the amount of money required to build something like these, and how much else could have been done with this money. I really feel that when Wordsworth says 'We lay waste to our powers' 
I get the impression that our power is reffering to our potential, the ability that all men have in them. We have the ability to do so much, and yet often times we waste them on worthless things, on things that distract from nature, that cause us to throw away our potential. This thing called 'Social Progress' is often not progress at all. I really enjoyed his thoughts on the subject, especially considering my current surroundings they were especially powerful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment