Monday 26 January 2009

Well, Someone has to get this thing going...

Am I the only one that finds Wordsworth much easier to read than Blake?

Don't get me wrong, Blake wrote some amazing stuff, but it was very difficult to understand. I think Wordsworth accomplished his goal of speaking to the common man without dumbing it down. I found it quite easy to understand what he was saying, but still powerful enough to think about, and draw ideas from. Especially "Simon Lee", and "We Are Seven", they were so simple and yet poetic and profound. I was not distracted by the wording, I found that I could actually focus on what the poem was saying, and not be distracted by how it was saying it. I found myself reading them again, not because I had no idea what he was saying (like I did with Blake), but because I wanted to, Did anyone else feel that way?

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. I enjoyed reading Wordsworth for the same reasons: it was easier to understand and not at all dumbed-down. "We Are Seven" made me tear up. I don't think poetry has to be "hard" for it to be good, just as Wordsworth accomplished.

    ReplyDelete